Question:
Even before the recent crisis, why on earth would a westerner want to go to Beirut?
Turbot Face
2006-07-18 05:04:48 UTC
Even before the recent crisis, why on earth would a westerner want to go to Beirut?
Seventeen answers:
carlos_frohlich
2006-07-18 05:18:01 UTC
Because its a main basis to reach beautiful landscapes. Sea and Montains. I advise you to chek it out in internet.

It is a cheap country also with low criminality levels.

You can also go to beaches with great weather. There you can see snow and Pretty nice days. Good for walk or trekking.

I remember you that all south are under strike and of course, as a main city, Beirut will be your camp attack to countryside and sea.
Alan B
2006-07-18 12:14:34 UTC
Beirut used to be called the Paris of the East and, before the tragic civil war which almost destroyed it, was a popular destination for Europeans. The country is basically peaceful and the people friendly and Beirut was returning to it's former glory until Israel attacked it last week.
me41987
2006-07-19 16:26:19 UTC
I was going to go there this summer to study the American University of Beirut, which has a very good Arabic program. There also many historical sites and a rich culture. Beirut's supposed to be the Paris of the Middle East.
The Stainless Steel Rat
2006-07-20 08:33:49 UTC
Because it was and still is an extraordinary place and people. With an ancient an rich culture. The best the east and the west has to offer. Unfortunately it has throughout its history been caught in the middle of of idiots paranoids religious fanatics aspiring dictators you name it. I know, I lived there for 17 years and it broke my heart to leave it and I still bleed with all the crap that is happening to the place by the Nazis in the south and the idiots who support them
Jumebug
2006-07-18 14:46:10 UTC
I've been to Lebanon and I'm an American. I love the people and their country. Lebanon's weather is great and I hope this crisis ends soon so I can go back and visit all the people I love soo dearly!!
2006-07-18 12:15:35 UTC
For the faded splendour of the fabled Paris of the east. You may go for the history, the hustle and bustle, the diversity. If you cannot se past mcdonalds and playstation then I agree you may have difficulty understanding why you would go.
gadriel
2006-07-18 12:13:36 UTC
Because it was a very beautiful ,architecturally interesting place.The food and hospitality of the people are renowned.

it is an ancient place and many people have lived there and people who have left could be visiting family who stayed.
mrskymira
2006-07-18 12:11:12 UTC
the same reason a westerner would go to Turkey or Greece or Morocco or any politically dubious country that has nice beaches.
undersky
2006-07-18 15:05:32 UTC
Because I think it is one of the most beautiful countries on earth.
Mohammed R
2006-07-19 12:03:15 UTC
It was one of the best places in the middle east.
lovethesun
2006-07-18 12:08:22 UTC
To experience a culture different to our own, to better understand life in a middle eastern country, to support their economic growth........ many reasons.
azaab_habibi
2006-07-21 07:11:30 UTC
because its my country its one of the most beautifull country with nice and clean people and second thing which country in that world you can go ski in the day time and go swiming in night time winter and summer in the same day wich country have a look at those picture tell me if you ever saw better than these in your USA.

http://www.downtownbeirut.com/SlideShow/index.html

THATS my country and i am proud of it
nonconformiststraightguy
2006-07-18 12:08:24 UTC
Because it was the Paris of the region.
theedge
2006-07-19 16:00:29 UTC
Because they got tired of the crime rate in new york maybe
sincityq
2006-07-18 12:08:20 UTC
Damn good question!

I'll have to check back in to see if anyone has a good answer...
epo1978
2006-07-18 12:12:16 UTC
to dodge Israeli rockets - I think I'll stick to Cornwall
2006-07-18 12:18:22 UTC
because they get paid lots of money to work there